Re: Americans working in Canada?

Subject: Re: Americans working in Canada?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 1998 09:29:41 -0700

Julie,

There are definitely jobs available in Canada for American technical
writers. The general situation, as described in Canadian press and trade
journals, is that a lot of college and university-trained writers,
programmers, etc. have fled south to the U.S. to find better-paying jobs,
creating a distinct employee gap for high tech firms to fill. There are a
number of government and industry headhunting programs in the Maritimes (New
Brunswick in particular) to recruit trained writers, and there is similar
pressure building in other provinces.

There are numerous job listings in the Careers section of the main national
newspaper, the Globe and Mail, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Job
fairs where writers can hand out their resumes to top companies are common
in Toronto, Ontario.

Good luck!

<snip>
>Perhaps someone out there in Canada could tell me what the chances are of
>Americans getting hired in technical communications jobs in Canada... Does
>it happen, or are there enough Canadians to fill all the jobs? As someone
>who wouldn't AT ALL mind relocating, I'm very curious. Thanks.
<snip>

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer
Intrinsyc Software, Inc.