Professional associations and dues

Subject: Professional associations and dues
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 1998 14:49:43 -0700

A general question:

When I was working as a science writer in the forest industry, my
co-workers' yearly association dues (R.P.F., R.P.Bio., P.Geo. etc.) were
paid for by our employer because membership in these associations provided
some measure of the individual's scientific knowledge, and it brought
prestige and legal protection to the company/individual.

I am curious about whether most technical writers on the list have their
membership dues in the STC (or any other professional association) paid for
by their employer? What benefit is there for an employer to pay the
writer's membership dues?

Also -- just a thought that comes to mind -- are there any cases of
technical writers being sued for their work, similar to the way that
journalists can be sued for shoddy reporting or libel? Or perhaps more
specifically (in the highly litigious environment of the U.S.) for writing
an installation guide that leads an unwitting user to injury? Just curious.

Cheers,

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer