Graphic Designers & ISD

Subject: Graphic Designers & ISD
From: "Phillips, Warren D (Warren)** CTR **" <phillipsw -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:04:16 -0500

If you employ a team of graphic artists, make sure that a process to
maintain a consistent style across the product is established. One of
the artists should take the lead role in setting standards and in
ensuring the quality of the work output by the team is consistent.
Things like this should be spelled out in the contract....

I worked on a large aerospace ISD project involving a wide range of
technical crafts, to include artist interns. The artwork was
inconsistent because artists were allowed to work as individuals QCing
their own work. Art requests followed a bureaucratic process that
actually did not allow the artist to talk with the instructor staff.
Programming for CBT was similar...

So you can imagine the end result. Different styles, varying color and
fonts for the same elements. To save money, artist interns were
employed. Two artists could draw the same aircraft, and one would be
skewed and cartoonish, while the other was a true technical
illustration. You get what you pay for. (Note - I tried, but had
little control over this subcontracted organization).

I recommend that the artist or team of artists have a repertoire of
skills to cover the entire range from cartoons, to technical
illustrations, maps, photo touchup, et al.....and the ability to
database and manage all of the elements for consistency, quality and
reuse. They should also be able to storyboard a piece of art from
sketch through final production, as a part of the team.

I worked with a graphic artist who could do all of that well, in
multiple mediums. He was an excellent photographer, oil painter,
electronic artist...etc.etc. He often would go onsite (to an Aircraft
Carrier on maneuvers) to obtain the necessary photos to make the
training work. The Gentleman's name is Michael Corley........(no charge
for the plug Mike!).

Warren Phillips
Information Developer - Wireless
Customer Training & Information Products
Lucent Technologies Inc.
Whippany, NJ
e-mail: phillpsw -at- lucent -dot- com
url: http://home.ptd.net/~philliw/