CBT v Training

Subject: CBT v Training
From: "Phillips, Warren D (Warren)** CTR **" <phillipsw -at- LUCENT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 18:13:52 -0500

My Two Cents

CBT is as effective as an instructor, see http://tenb.mta.ca/phenom/
for the "No Significant Difference" Phenomenon. There you will find
200+ research reports on the effectiveness. Keep in mind that the
comparisons assume that the right tool is used for each learning
situation.

==========
My background is in ISD and I have been an instructor, as well as a
developer of CBT. Been there....done that.

The question is not which is best....it is what are my choices. When
you apply a complete and accurate needs analysis, you will come up with
list of options for content and delivery. There is no one right answer.

My suggestion is that you present to management a true "Multimedia"
approach where your team has made an assessment of the best
overall MIX of delivery approaches. Instructors will always have a
role.....it just may have to change.

When I was at Gulfstream Aerospace
we were considering redefining the instructor role to that of a
consultant,
that was able to implement solutions throughout the "Learning
Organization".
The training department would develop resources for locating and solving
knowledge and skills gaps. Our goal was to make solutions available
24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at all levels of the business, anywhere
in
the world.....a traditional training department based on classroom
instruction
could not meet our real business needs.

Self-paced training (includes CBT) should be used when appropriate,
especially if it will allow the instructor to move into the more dynamic
roles of running workshops and hands on practice sessions.

==========
Instructors are most appropriate when students need tailored
remediation that is responsive to the individual's needs. Or if
structured OJT is required to build student confidence or to
assess (certify) acceptable performance.

Typical instructor facilitated sessions also involve
collaborative learning...with students learning from each
other and from the "experience". Self-paced learning can not replace
that.

A good instructor not only achieves the minimum standard for
the training objectives for a course, a good instructor builds
a positive attitude for the subject, is a problem solver for the
student, is able to adjust to student frames of reference that
are outside the mainstream (requires instructor to know more than
just the scripted class syllabus!!!).

The instructor staff can also develop Just-In-Time training
solutions to resolve hot issues. These are what I call the 80%
solution...in that it is not intended to look pretty, only to
immediately
fix knowledge or skill gaps in the workforce. No staff? Eliminate
a training staff and you eliminate options for management for
resolving performance gaps.....
==========
CBT can be used to create dynamic illustrations to be used
by the instructors in the classroom....and to build interactivity
with systems through simulations.
==========

In my present role I am seeking to build solutions to a customer's
need for knowledge across both publications and training. In
addition seek ways to "Single Source" elements of information
for multiple use. And do it faster without errors.....

Warren Phillips
Information Developer - Wireless
Customer Training & Information Products
Lucent Technologies Inc.
Whippany, NJ
e-mail: phillpsw -at- lucent -dot- com
url: http://home.ptd.net/~philliw