Re: Anybody heard of PC Docs?

Subject: Re: Anybody heard of PC Docs?
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 1998 13:29:38 -0600

Apparently this is a document-management package; it may also have
some editing/formatting capability. Our legal department (major
southeastern US utility company) is going to force us to adopt it as
a standard, if rumor is to be believed.

We looked at it a few years ago. As I recall its features, it won't do much
for a doc department. (The difference between "document management" and
"documentation management" is subtle but meaningful.) It's a great system
for tracking the paper that's inevitably generated by business practices
(PO's, requests, memos, etc.) but I wouldn't want to depend upon it for
version control in a documentation project.

Legal departments are prime users of PC DOCS; it's great at tracking
depositions, evidence, disclosures, etc. Its strong points are in the
indexing and retrieval areas.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224