Re: diffs betw tech and academic writing (was writing samples)

Subject: Re: diffs betw tech and academic writing (was writing samples)
From: Wayne Douglass <wayned -at- VERITY -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 10:01:18 -0800

At 08:46 AM 3/25/98 +0000, Damien Braniff wrote:
>The obvious difference to me is in style. I'm now working on my MA thesis
>and am still getting to grips with HOW I write it - not the way I would
>instinctively do it! I've also had a comment on one of my earlier
>assignments re phraseology/style and was told this was an "academic"
>assignment though I queried the the definition of style as the course is in
>Tech Writing. Seemed a little strange to me - course in TW which
>emphasises "TW style" but assignments to be written in "academic style"!!

When I completed my MA in English at the University of Florida, I asked my
adviser if he would also be my adviser for the PhD. He agreed, and at a
later meeting we reviewed my transcripts to determine future course work.
When he noticed that my undergraduate degree was in journalism, he said,
"Ah, that explains it." "What?" I asked. "Your Master's thesis," he said.
"It was so - clear."

--Wayne
Wayne Douglass phone: 408-542-2139
Verity, Inc. FAX: 408-542-2040
894 Ross Road mailto:wayned -at- verity -dot- com
Sunnyvale, CA 94089 http://www.verity.com