Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts

Subject: Re: CBT vs. Training - my thoughts
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1998 13:34:41 -0600

Scott Gray wrote:

> Skills are learned not taught. Does the nurse have the skill after
> listening to the teacher descibe how ... no. Certainly these descriptions
> are very important. Demonstrations even more important, but actually
> doing yourself is the MOST important part of the learning process.

I'm not sure why you assume stand-up teaching would not include
demonstrations and practice. If your definition of "stand up teaching"
is simply describing how to do things, then I can see why you're against
it.

Going back to the nurse example, obviously no one in their right mind
would lecture you on how to draw blood, then send you into the
workforce. But teaching yourself to draw blood is just as bad. My
problem is with your premise that self-teaching is *always* the best way
to learn *anything.* Discovery learning is a wonderful, effective way to
learn many things (and in fact we use it extensively in our practical
nursing curriculum). But there are things you can safely and effectively
learn on your own (though it's silly to insist CBT is always the best
way to learn them), and there are things an expert should teach you.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm