Re: search engines for PDF&HTML

Subject: Re: search engines for PDF&HTML
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 14:05:53 -0600

Tangent to the search techniques supplied in this thread, I have used a
workaround for searching local HTML files on computers operating on NT or
Windows95. The FindFiles program (delivered with these operating systems)
can be used by setting the Named: field to "*.htm *.html", the
ContainingText: field to the search term or phrase, and the LookIn: field to
directory containing the HTML files. You can then load any of the items
from the resultant list by double-clicking.

Using VB script, a button could be placed in an HTML file to display the
FindFile dialog box. The code is as follows:

<Input Type="Button" Value="Search" id="butFind">
<Script Language=VBScript>
Sub butFind_OnClick()
Dim MyShell
Set MyShell=CreateObject("Shell.Application")
MyShell.FindFiles
Set MyShell = Nothing
End Sub
</Script>

The FindFile dialog box does not return as a programmable object.
Therefore, the search parameter values cannot be entered nor can the search
be started through code.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Principal Technical Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.ingr.com/iss/products/mapping/

"Humpty was pushed!"