Re: search engines for PDF&HTML

Subject: Re: search engines for PDF&HTML
From: John Posada <john -at- TDANDW -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:01:29 -0500

Ellen...sorry to come in late on this, but here's where I'm at here.

** Currently ---

I have am intranet and I post documents in pdf.

I create a web page for let's say, Technical Suppport. I have several
catagories (tech support, programmer support, customer support, etc.)

When you click on a graphic for one of the catagories, you are directed
to, let's say, Technical Support.

On that page you will see a list of document titles, an abstract of the
document, and both PDF and PS links (for Windows/Acrobat people and
UNIX/Ghostview people).

When you click on the PDF, the document is launched from inside of the
browser.

** Problem ---

It's difficult for the programmers to find documents based key terms.
Don't make me explain (sigh)

** Modification ---

1) Create an html version of each document.
2) Using Frame, which is what the documents are created in, create a
very short, one-sentence description of the document and give it the tag
"Abstract"
3) Using IXGen, create an index of just the tag "Abstract" with the
document file name instead of the page number (I'm still working on this
page/file name-swap part) in the index.
4) Using IXGen, permute the index so I can create an alphabetical list
of each key term.
5) Turn the index into html and make the document file name an active
link.

Example: Three documents (I'll keep it artificially short for
demonstration purpose)

1) Use CPIO to copy directory to email Broadcast server ..cpio.htm
2) Use EM2FAX to transmit Emails to Fax Transmissions.....em2fax.htm
3) Use FMIO to transmit Faxes Worldwide ..................fmio.htm

broadcast server, Use CPIO to copy directory to email.....cpio.htm
copy directory to email Broadcast server, Use cpio to.....cpio.htm
CPIO to copy directory to email Broadcast server, Use.....cpio.htm
directory to email Broadcast server, Use CPIO to copy ....cpio.htm
EM2FAX to transmit Emails to Fax Transmissions, Use.......em2fax.htm
email Broadcast server, Use CPIO to copy directory to.....cpio.htm
Emails to Fax Transmission, Use EM2FAX to transmit........em2fax.htm
FMIO to transmit Faxes Worldwide, Use.....................fmio.htm
server, Use CPIO to copy directory to email Broadcast.....cpio.htm
transmit Faxes Worldwide, Use FMIO........................fmio.htm

You get the point.

When a document is created, it is up to engineering to create that
abstract so it is described by terms they are comfortable with.

The index will also be kept in hardcopy as part of the Books used to
create this documentation.

At least that's the plan.

--
John Posada, Technical Writer (and proud of the title)
The world's premier Internet fax service company: The FaxSav Global