Thanks: Editing vs. Writing

Subject: Thanks: Editing vs. Writing
From: "Biederman, K.A." <KBiederman -at- OCWEN -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 11:12:31 -0500

Thanks to everyone (all 24 of you!) who answered my question about
editing vs. writing. The responses I received were all very different.
Here's a summary:

The editor's position in relation to the writer:
Above: 10
Below: 4
Same: 6
Depends: 3
You won't get any valuable info from this listserv: 1

Some of the terms that were frequently used:
Consultant to other departments, project management, analytical, easier,
simpler, last line of defense, greater responsibility...

Even though the majority of respondents agreed that the editor's
position has more responsibility than a writer's position, almost
everyone agreed that editing is viewed very differently by different
companies. On one end of the spectrum, editors should expect a 35%
increase in pay. On the other end, it's a demotion.

Another good point brought up by a few people is that the writer's
position tends to be more stable than an editor's. That's always
something to consider.

As for me, I don't have to make my decision for another 6-8 weeks.
That's when the requisition will be approved or denied by the people
upstairs. I believe that my boss views this position as a step up for
me. He's looking to unload some of the project management
responsibilities on his plate while ensuring consistency among corporate
publications. I'll let you all know what happens. Thanks again for all
your help.

-Kerry Biederman