SUMMARY: Template problems

Subject: SUMMARY: Template problems
From: Marcia Morrison <mmorrison -at- QMSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 11:44:47 -0700

About a month ago I posted a question to the list about an error message I've been getting in Word, to wit, "Word cannot open this document template." Usually this is followed by a message that says, "Word cannot open the existing |_|." (Last part is a crude representation of the box character.) My thanks to the people that responded. Their replies are summarized below.
I had this problem just two days ago-it turned out to be a corrupted Normal.dot file. Just rename your Normal.dot and restart Word. Word will create a new Normal.dot and, hopefully, the problem will disappear.
HTH,
Geoff Lane
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- force9 -dot- net
I don't know if it's related but I had a similar problem setting up Visual Slickedit to handle .txt files.
Somewhere in Windows95 -- I don't remember exactly where-you tell it which program handles files with any given extension (Word and .doc in your case). That dialog also allows you to specify how to pass file arguments to the program.
I believe you need to assure that the argument is in quotes.
Sorry I don't remember the details right now. ...RM
Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA
(c) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.
Hi Marcia,
I experienced the same problem. The solution is to use files names
that are 8 characters or less. Windows NT does not adhere to the
Windows 95 file naming convention. I hope this helps.

Leslie Harmon
P.S. The file name length did not seem to make a difference on my machine. Getting rid of the existing Normal.dot file seemed to be the best solution, although the problem does recur from time to time. I'm not sure why it's getting corrupted, except maybe because I tend to have 18 different things open and running at once. If anyone who did not previously respond has additional ideas, I will be glad to re-post this summary message and include them.

Thanks!

Marcia Morrison
Qualitative Marketing Software, Inc.
Boulder, Colorado