Re: CBT v Training Redirect

Subject: Re: CBT v Training Redirect
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:52:09 -0600

> Do you think that it is possible that the majoirty way of thinking (i.e.
> CBT could never replace stand-up training) is that way because we have
> never been able to build anything as such until now?

<opinion> No. </opinion> I am not anti-CBT, but you must realize there
are inherent limitations. Not the least of which is the fact that some
people, even those who are computer literate, are uncomfortable with CBT
(and uncomfortable people don't learn as well as they could) and prefer
a stand-up trainer. I'm not one of them, but that doesn't mean I can
deny they exist.

> It it *impossible* to build a CBT that can replace stand-up training?

For some topics, perhaps. What *is* impossible is picking the one Holy
Grail of delivery methods (whether it be stand-up trainer, CBT, or
something else) that works best for all subjects and all learners.

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm