Re: Close vs Exit

Subject: Re: Close vs Exit
From: "Ridder, Fred" <F -dot- Ridder -at- DIALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 17:11:11 -0500

On Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:00:59 -0600 Michael Clark wrote:

>The MS style guide says that you should use "Exit" as the command to
>quit a program, and "close" when talking about a vanilla window. This
>is logical to me, and is consistent with Wordpad, Word, Excel, Outlook
>Express, etc.
>
>Explorer uses "Close". Will someone please explain this to me?
>
>I'm trying to get my head developer to use "Exit", like 95% of the
>rest of the programs out there, but he wants to use "Close" because
>Explorer--the ONE inconsistent Microsoft program--uses it. I've
>already pointed out that "Exit" is more popular, more logical, and the
>actual MS guideline, but he's still not convinced. I need another
>angle.

When I read your query I was wondering whether you were referring to
Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer (the file utility). Guess what?
You could have been referring to either, or both! IOW, there are at
least _TWO_ Microsoft programs that use Close instead of Exit.

Sorry to undermine your argument...

Fred Ridder (mailto:f -dot- ridder -at- dialogic -dot- com)
Senior Technical Writer
Dialogic Corporation, Parsippany, NJ

And to keep our marketing people happy:
Get the Dialogic Edge at: http://www.dialogic.com