Close vs Exit

Subject: Close vs Exit
From: Michael Clark <miark -at- MIJENIX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 16:00:59 -0600

The MS style guide says that you should use "Exit" as the command to
quit a program, and "close" when talking about a vanilla window. This
is logical to me, and is consistent with Wordpad, Word, Excel, Outlook
Express, etc.

Explorer uses "Close". Will someone please explain this to me?

I'm trying to get my head developer to use "Exit", like 95% of the
rest of the programs out there, but he wants to use "Close" because
Explorer--the ONE inconsistent Microsoft program--uses it. I've
already pointed out that "Exit" is more popular, more logical, and the
actual MS guideline, but he's still not convinced. I need another
angle.

Pre-thanks,
Mike