Re[6]: HTML Programming vs. PDF

Subject: Re[6]: HTML Programming vs. PDF
From: "Walker, Arlen P" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 16:44:14 -0600

First, let me say I am extremely offended by your accusations that
this discussion is about self promotion and spamming! Not true.

Then I guess I'm glad I wasn't so cynical as to make that accusation, eh?
(The only spamming I mentioned was "Spamming the Search Engines," and
sorry,
but I stand by that one, and the userworld code is my best witness for it.)

You said about interactive learning and I quote:
"Gee, I wonder how anyone managed to learn anything before multimedia
tools were invented. It couldn't have been by *reading* now, could
it?"

Well, actually I said it about your implication that it wasn't possible to
learn by sitting there reading documentation. I never said anything bad
about interactive learning

Third, it is not my fault that microsoft internet explorer has bug
(which they admit), a fix is offered at the site (did you read it?).

Didn't say it was. I *do* know my net beginners and I *did* say they would
have bailed out at that point, without someone there to reassure them
everything was alright.

Fourth, thousands of people have learned to make webpages at my site
and many of these people have written and praised the interactive
nature of the site.

Don't doubt it. The HTML books, heck even the venerable w3c tutorial, could
make the same claim. And your point is....? People learn in many different
ways from presentations in many different styles. You seem to be stuck on
some fictitious idea that I said interactive instruction was no good. I
never said that. I said that people learn from well-designed lessons, no
matter the medium. You're the one saying either-or; I'm saying both-and.

Evidently, Arlen you are a lost cause unwilling to enter the new
millenium with an open mind to fresh modes of communication and
learning.

The sound you hear is that of a couple of co-workers collapsing on the
floor
in mirth at that idea.

Please go back and reread what I wrote. I didn't say anything disparaging
about the idea of interactive education. The best you could do is accuse me
of damning it with faint praise.

What I *did* say was that people from this site (and I don't know how many
others) would not be able to use your tutorial, and the error warning on
entry would discourage some who could take it from trying it.

I also gave a fair description of what I saw on the site. In what was my
description wrong? Please be specific, so I can see my mistake.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224