Re: HTML Programming vs. PDF

Subject: Re: HTML Programming vs. PDF
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 1998 15:32:16 -0500

>>I see that as a drawback, actually. Explorer doesn't read JavaScript, but
>>JScript. But Netscape doesn't honor JScript...Java applets require
>
>[snip]
>
>This is only partly true. Internet Explorer does support JavaScript. Here's
>a snippet from www.microsoft.com:
>
>"Will JavaScript work in Internet Explorer 4.0?
>
>Most functionality in JScript and JavaScript will work across both the
>Internet Explorer 4.0 and Netscape Navigator 4.0 browsers. The key issue
>here is that Internet Explorer 4.0 is already fully EMCA-compliant, while
>Netscape has announced that it intends to support ECMAScript. Internet
>Explorer 4.0 continues to lead in the standards arena, through its support
>for key standards such as ECMAScript."
>
>IE 3.x supports nearly the same object/event model used for Netscape 2.x
>browsers.
>
>Regards...Kris
>-----------------------------
>kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
>kris -at- olberg -dot- com

I'm sorry, Kris, but "nearly the same" isn't "the exact same" and with the
browser companies subtly shifting the ground from under one another's feet,
I can't in good conscience wholeheartedly back this approach to online
documentation. Clients don't pay us for wonderous experiments, but for
predictable, reliable delivery.

Tim Altom
Vice President, Simply Written, Inc.
317.899.5882 (voice) 317.899.5987 (fax)
www.simplywritten.com
Creators of the Clustar Method (TM)
An out-of-the-box methodology for fast task-based documentation
that's easy to port to paper, WinHelp, Acrobat, SGML, and other media.