Re: Should we skip HTML?

Subject: Re: Should we skip HTML?
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 17:42:55 -0600

I'm quite able to receive PDF. But I find large PDFs annoying when I
want a small piece of information.

For example, in order to find out what time a particular speaker is
scheduled at the STC conference, I have to download a 47 page document.
Which looks darned good printed out in full color, but I just want the
one chunk of information. On the other hand, I had access to the
information on the web several days before I had the hard copy. And if I
wanted to present a polished proposal to convince my boss to send me to
the conference, the PDF would look very good.

Ya gotta keep that user in mind. The answer depends on the question.

PDF is great for a lot of things, but there are a couple of very bad
reasons to use it. I've seen it used to shovel data, and I've seen it
used to enshrine somebody's precious layout. Both of these are tempting
to me as an information developer. Neither of these pleases me as a
user.

---
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com