Re: black box

Subject: Re: black box
From: Kris Olberg <kjolberg -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 22:59:17 -0600

In US technology circles, a "black box" symbolizes an opaque place or thing
in which a process occurs. Because the black box is opaque, the process
cannot be observed. Only the input and the output can be observed.

A simple example of a black box is a baking oven with no window. You put raw
material such as bread dough into the oven. Several minutes later, you take
out baked bread.

The symbolism is applicable to processes in most industries, so it can be
used in many contexts.

Regards...Kris
kolberg -at- actamed -dot- com
kris -at- olberg -dot- com