Working with PageMaker and DDE?

Subject: Working with PageMaker and DDE?
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 01:42:42 -0800

Hey folks,

As I mentioned a couple messages ago, it's been ages since I
worked with PageMaker. However, yesterday a client asked me for some
advice on putting together a phone directory (to be published in a
nice, polished format) of members in her organization. She has the
members in a PeachTree database and wants to use PageMaker to publish
the directory. This isn't my bag, but I'm trying to help her out here
and steer her in the right direction.

As I said, it's been years since I worked with PageMaker, and I
generally try to avoid doing Windows programming when I can, but I can
muddle through basic MS-Access stuff and dynamic data exchange (DDE)
to tie PeachTree and/or PageMaker together. I know PeachTree does
DDE, and I'm told PageMaker also does it. Does anybody have any
suggestions on tools or scripts or even existing utilities in
PageMaker to "mail-merge" the database of members with a basic page
layout in PageMaker?

Also, while I'm on this topic; I've never worked with commercial
printers on a run this small (only 2000 or so copies). What's the
best option for getting this printed in a nice format? The whole
thing should be about 100 pages or less (I hope). It needs to have
some black & white photos included in the printing (about 100 of the
members). She needs to keep costs down (under $3-4K for printing &
production) but she'd also like to have the directory look & feel
nice.

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- rt1 -dot- net
puff -at- netcom -dot- com