RESOLUTION: binding user guides part II

Subject: RESOLUTION: binding user guides part II
From: Barclay Blanchard <bblanchard -at- HALIS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 15:00:03 -0600

Dana B. Mackonis wrote:
<snip>...</snip>
> If you get a "better" answer from the bindery, can you post it to the list?

The bindery says that Frame 5.5 files from the PC aren't
supported by imposition software. (This has something to do
with producing high-resolution color images.) Somehow this
introduces an extra step in their process so that they have to
convert to PDF and then convert from that to postscript.
"Autoflatness" was another term that the binder used.

The gist was that the bindery can't produce clear 4-color
perfect-bound manuals from either PDF files or FrameMaker (PC)
files but can from FrameMaker (Mac) files or from PageMaker
(Mac or PC) files.

At any rate, the guy at the bindery has been back and forth
with Adobe about the issue, trying to get it resolved. This
shop prints from Frame files for IBM, but only for 2-color
printing; we're using 4-color printing for each page.

Thanks to all who provided input and helped me gain some
clarification on the preparing-for-printing process. What
we're probably going to do for now is purchase FrameMaker
and PageMaker. If so, I'll use Frame to create my documents
and then somehow port them to Page to create files for the
bindery. Later, we plan to get a Mac with FrameMaker.