Re: Future use

Subject: Re: Future use
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 10:32:30 -0500

Marci: Kimberly:

>I am in a very similar situation. I am trying to document a constantly
changing software product with changing priorities and changing
schedules. Does >anyone have any tips for working effectively in this
situation?

Our product is also constantly evolving, and there is no good way to
constantly revise documentation to keep up while writing new manuals.
Carl Bergerson had a good point that, if you can avoid a subject or
feature, it is best to not mention it. I use "Not Currently Implemented/
In Use" when this is not possible. I also make very clear on the front
of the document which version of the software the document goes with,
and I give each document a revision number and date it on the cover. In
this way, the customer knows that the information is current and
accurate at a particular level.
-Matthew Craver,
Technical Documentation
Open Solutions Inc.