Electronic VS. Paper: know your audience

Subject: Electronic VS. Paper: know your audience
From: KarlF <karlf -at- SPECTRALOGIC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:15:06 -0700

I send my docs out in three formats:
PDF, for printing.
HTML, for quick, easy access to information.
Paper-copy, for the field engineer's trash can.
Take your pick.You may be able to tell which one I prefer. Engineers
are mostly an intelligent, if not arrogant, bunch who like electronic
toys. Our FRU documentation is also huge and complicated. It's easier
for the guy who likes electronic toys to flip through computer screens,
be they PDF or HTML, than it is for the same guy to keep track of a
piece of paper. He'd much prefer the electronic toy anyway... and, as
somebody else said, the electronic copy is always updatable on the fly
(which leads to revision control issues, but that's another story).

The bottom line: electronic copy best suits the engineering audience.

Karl Frank