Editing Issues & what-nots

Subject: Editing Issues & what-nots
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 21:45:13 -0500

Julie Tholen <julie_tholen -at- CNT -dot- COM> wrote:

>I seem to be unable to edit my own work. I know that this is >not an uncommon occurrence, but I really need to address this >issue.

After seven years of teaching university English and two years of
writing, I've found that the best way to self-edit is to get a different
perspective on your work.

You can get a different perspective in a couple of ways:

--Leave the work for a couple of days.

--Print out your work (always a good idea, since very few people edit
efficiently on-screen).

--Read your work aloud (or at least the troublesome passages)

--Get someone else to read your work.

>what sort of timeframe should I plan for?

Teaching composition, I suggested that all levels of editing should
occupy 35-50% of the total writing time (and be done separately from the
actual drafting of material. Also, preparation should take about
one-third of your time, if you're going to work as efficiently as
possible).
--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
(bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com) (604) 421-7189 or 687-2133 X. 269

"Wait for me at midnight
(With thirty seconds' grace,
Midnight is not a time,
Midnight is a place."