Re: Documenting for LCD or most common?

Subject: Re: Documenting for LCD or most common?
From: Keith Arnett <Keith_Arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 10:13:26 EST

Despite the shared name (and some functionality), Win 3.1 and Win 95
are two different operating systems, and generally speaking, they
should be documented separately.

*However,* it appears that your new application is still 16-bit, and
thus not truly a Windows 95 (32-bit) application. Should the
documentation be 3.1-centric, with additional information as to how to
load and run on Win 95, or vice-versa? Definitely a call for the
marketing department.

More than likely, the probable paucity of 3.1 users will dictate
formatting the document for Win 95, with supplementary material for
3.1 users.

Good luck,

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer/Sterling Software, Inc.
Reston VA USA

Subject: Documenting for LCD or most common?
Author: Colleen Adams <PD33 -at- medispan -dot- com> at ~sydressmtp
Date: 2/13/98 9:57 AM

We are in the process of revising a user's guide for a new version of
software (Windows-based ) which is about to be released. We've
already re-pulled the screen captures which were done in Windows 95
but had previously been done in 3.1. (BTW, the software is still
compatible with 3.1.)

Q: When documenting installation instructions, should we document for
both 3.1 and 95? As a rule, should we document for lowest common
demoninator or most commonly used? (I've already checked with
Customer Support to verify that we still have some 3.1 users--and we
do.) If yes, then do we split out the 3.1 instructions from 95 or keep them
together?

Q: We also have various tutorial lessons which step you through some
applications of the software. Again, Windows 3.1 or 95?

Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks!!

Colleen Adams
External Documentation Supervisor
Medi-Span, Inc.
Indianapolis, IN