Re[2]: Click Vs. Press

Subject: Re[2]: Click Vs. Press
From: Keith Arnett <Keith_Arnett -at- RESTON -dot- OMD -dot- STERLING -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:03:03 EST

Perhaps I'm confused, but my edition of The Microsoft Manual of Style
for Technical Publications (1995) says:

"Click
-----

In general, use click, rather than choose or select, to refer to a
user's choosing or selection a command or option. Do not use 'click
on' or 'click at;' "Click in the window" is acceptable, however."

also:

"Select
-------

Use to refer to marking text, cells and similar items that will be
subject to a user action, such as copying text...."

Furthermore, under "Options," the usage examples clearly use 'click.'

Press is reserved for keyboard keys.

Keith Arnett
Technical Writer/Reston Labs
Sterling Software, Inc./Operations Management Division
Reston VA USA

Subject: Re: Click Vs. Press
Author: "Bergerson, Carl A" <Carl -dot- Bergerson -at- unisys -dot- com> at ~sydressmtp
Date: 2/7/98 10:54 AM

Joe,

The MS style guide uses select for options. The correct verb is choose
for a button that performs an action.

Carl Bergerson
Mission Viejo
Product Information
carl -dot- bergerson -at- unisys -dot- com