Re: CBT Tools

Subject: Re: CBT Tools
From: Paula Puffer <papuffer -at- SWBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 13:01:41 -0600

Scott Wrote:

>There is almost nothing that can't be done using:
>-HTML
>-JavaScript
>-CGI

Doesn't the purpose of the document and the customer drive the document's
production? Yes HTML, CGI and Javascript can do a lot, but that doesn't mean
they are the appropriate tools for the job.

>I have yet to see a CBT type program written in something like MacroMedia
Director that is pedogogically sound for teaching SKILLS.

hmmm, the basic skills I learned that relate to writing and that directly
affect my writing (researching, design and layout, editing, writing,
proofreading) are not computer related in the least. I consider the programs
I use as tools to help me achieve the end result. Part of my job as a
technical writer is to know what tools are best to complete the job at hand.
Sometimes I have no control over what tools I have to use.

And as someone who recently stepped out of acedemia and into industry,
sometimes sound pedagogy has little or nothing to do with learning or
needing to complete a task.

Paula Puffer
papuffer -at- swbell -dot- net