Re: Icon to represent ergonomics

Subject: Re: Icon to represent ergonomics
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 13:27:07 -0600

I've been asked to add some context to my quest for an illustration/icon
to represent "ergonomics" (and I'm thrilled that anybody's even
expressed an opinion!), so here it is...

The printed product is curriculum for middle school technology education
programs (tech ed replaces shop class nowadays). Each book is about a
particular technology or technology-related area (such as structural
engineering, photography, control robotics, etc.). Each book includes
"Impact Statements," or short discussions on the particular area's
impact on five "areas of human culture" (environmental, social/cultural,
economic, political, and ergonomic). So, while the specific subject
matter changes, the general context is constant -- the concept of
ergonomics, which we have defined as "the study of developing products
and systems that meet people's needs." Hmm... maybe we should change
that defintion while we're at it. ;-)

Some of these areas are easy to illustrate -- the environmental impact
icon shows a tree and hills, economic is a handful of money, political
is a capitol dome. As I mentioned in my previous post, we have been
using the Leonardo DaVinci drawing of a man with arms and legs
outstretched to represent ergonomics, but are investigating other
options.

Thanks for your suggestions so far, and please keep 'em coming! :-)

Tracy
Oklahoma Dept. of Vocational & Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm