Re: FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity

Subject: Re: FWD: Problems with Hiring, Equity
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 12:05:29 -0800

> The existing writer then found out that the newbie was on a higher salary.

I had a recent experience in a different arena. It might shed some light on
this one.

Recently I had occasion to run up a sizable balance on a credit card that
charges 14.9% interest. Being no dummy, I took advantage of one of the
deluge of such offers I receive and transferred the balance to another
credit card that charges (at least for a while) 7.9% interest.

The first company called me and offered to lower its interest rate to 4.9%
-- again, for a while -- if I'd transfer the balance back to them!

So what does this have to do with salary negotiations?

Your company has quite an investment in you. If they're willing to pay high
salaries to new hires, they're probably willing to pay you just as high a
salary to keep you on board.

Many companies wait for you to show up with a counteroffer before they
consider bringing your compensation up to the going rate. I think this is a
mistake, because most people, once they start looking, don't like to look
back. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.