Long-term contracting

Subject: Long-term contracting
From: Richard Mateosian <srm -at- CYBERPASS -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 10:01:57 -0800

>To anybody who's in a similar situation: How does a long-term contract
>like this work? Do contractors get benefits? Are you self-employed or do
>you work for an agency? Do you work onsite? Any problems with the IRS?
>What's in it for you?

I believe federal law makes such "contractors" eligible for some sort of
retirement benefits. I'm not sure of the details, but I know that's why
most firms around here are paranoid about using this kind of employment
arrangement.

One firm I know of makes its contractors come in through third parties and
makes the contractor change from one third party to another every nine
months or so! The change of third party does not relieve the employer of
the requirement to provide benefits, but it seems to make them worry less
that they'll get caught when they don't. ...RM

Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net>
Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA

(C) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.