What's a 'White Paper'?

Subject: What's a 'White Paper'?
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 09:58:11 -0600

I have to admit some embarrassment about asking this question, but I need
to know.

I'm answering an ad for a writer who can basically write anything up to and
including a new gospel. One of the document types the ad mentions is a
white paper.

Since I've been writing since we were all using chisels on stone tablets, I
THINK I know what someone means when they talk about a white paper--it's a
document that spells out a company's position on some issue in the industry
with any research the company or a third party has done to back up that
position. White paper format is usually similar to a college reserach paper.

My question, then: Am I correct, or am I way off in left field?

Feel free to answer off list if you prefer.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax