Re: access and learning TW software?

Subject: Re: access and learning TW software?
From: Kimberly Lyle-Wilson <klylewilson -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 16:22:30 PST

>Hello, Vannessa,
>
>You can skip the Visual Basic unless you just have a burning interest.
>That's simply a programming language and depending on where you work,
>the programmers may or may not use it. Even if they do, most tech
>writers are not expected to know programming languages.

The value of Visual Basic is that it is the language that Microsoft
macros are written in (for both Word and Excel). You may not *need* VB
immediately, but may find it very handy sometime down the line.

I have recently been working on a project that uses Select use case
analysis software's Document Generator. The Document Generator uses
complex OLEs and Word macros, templates and autotext to output use case
analysis data into a consistent document. MY task was to modify and
re-compile the Visual Basic projects that produce the document output so
that everyone on the team could automatically output their analysis
documentation into a consistent, cumulative document. It was like
building templates for the whole project, only more complicated. The
task was challenging to me, and my familiarity with (old) Basic was
really helpful. I've since applied my newfound VB knowledge to building
detailed macros that perform a great deal of my more tedious daily work.

I agree with others, though, that a familiarity with VB is not a basic
foundation skill for TWs.

Kimberly Lyle-Wilson
Technical Writer, Information Systems
The Weather Channel