Annoying footer numbering in Word

Subject: Annoying footer numbering in Word
From: Kathy Borgtodd <kborgtod -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:21:20 -0500

On 1/29, Nancy McDonald wrote:

Hey, 'Whirlers,
Have any of you experienced this? I'm documenting some major action
plans, issues, etc., of a team, and divide my docs in several
sections. The doc is separated into several sections & paginated in
the footer something like, "Page 3 of 14" for example. I use the
toolbar buttons that signify "page number" and "number of pages."
When I re-open the doc after closing, I get something like "Page 3 of
1" and each section uses "1" in the "number of pages" field. It's
making me crazy, and I'm wondering if everyone in my distribution list
who gets this doc might be having that same number experience.
Does anyone know whether this is a known bug and of a workaround for
this?
Hey Nancy, it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Your problem has to do with the annoying Insert>>Page Number dialog boxes,
along with the equally annoyint section break features. There are a couple
of different things you can do. You can get rid of the section breaks, or,
if you really need them, do the following:
1. Navigate through the View>>Header and Footers menu. Go to the footer on
the page following each section break
2. Go to the Insert menu, click on Page Number. The Page Numbers dialog box
displays.
3. You need to click the Format button. The Page Number Format dialog box
displays.
4. Click the radio button next to Continue From Previous Section.

Unfortunately for you, you will have to do this for each section break.

This is the sort of "feature" that has driven me to investigate Framemaker.
Good luck!

Kathy Borg-Todd
Sr. Tech Writer/Proj. Estimator/Freelancer/Copyediting Goddess
kborgtod -at- sctcorp -dot- com
Columbia, SC