Annoying footer numbering in Word

Subject: Annoying footer numbering in Word
From: "McDonald, Nancy (The Registry)" <McDonalN -at- LCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:17:08 -0500

Hey, 'Whirlers,

Have any of you experienced this? I'm documenting some major action
plans, issues, etc., of a team, and divide my docs in several
sections. The doc is separated into several sections & paginated in
the footer something like, "Page 3 of 14" for example. I use the
toolbar buttons that signify "page number" and "number of pages."
When I re-open the doc after closing, I get something like "Page 3 of
1" and each section uses "1" in the "number of pages" field. It's
making me crazy, and I'm wondering if everyone in my distribution list
who gets this doc might be having that same number experience.

Does anyone know whether this is a known bug and of a workaround for
this?

TIA,
Nancy McDonald,
Tech writer