Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY

Subject: Re: TOOLS AND TECHNOLOGY
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 1998 09:08:08 +0000

An extension of what was said earlier by Eric and others that it's the
writing skills that matter. When I started (not that long ago!!) and
indeed up until about 10 years ago my writing tools were pencil, ruler and
eraser (never used a typewriter). Text was hand written (drawing also done
by hand) and send off to be typed/drawn. The typists/illustrators had the
relevant tools and knew all the company formats, standard spellings etc.
Everything then came back for checking (and the fun of cut 'n' stick with
the artwork) before masters were created and sent to print.

Now we're jack of all trades - format, graphics etc. You name it and we're
expected to do it. This doesn't, however, get away from the fact that the
writing is still paramount. If you're producing rubbish, no matter how
good it looks it's still rubbish.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International