Confidential portfolios

Subject: Confidential portfolios
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 11:57:14 -0600

Lisa Woods wondered about <<...the desire to protect
sensitive material from scrutiny by outside persons... If
one had produced an example of writing containing sensitive
information which displayed one's ability to manipulate
graphics, layout, etc. (especially using a requisite
program), would it be acceptable to replace the proprietary
information with some other text?>>

It would certainly be an appropriate and innovative
solution, and it beats the heck out of "I could show you a
writing sample, but then I'd have to kill you", which is
guaranteed to leave the wrong impression at a job
interview. <grin> The rule of thumb in any sort of
publishing is that content is protected, but the techniques
for generating that content are not. If the situation were
otherwise, the guy or gal who invented the notion of
formatting headings differently from body text would be
rich enough to hire Bill Gates as a stablehand. Now there's
an image for you!