Functional specifications document

Subject: Functional specifications document
From: geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 13:11:07 -0600

A friend who's just beginning a software project asked for
advice on creating a "functional specifications document".
I gave him an overview of what I knew about "blueprints"
for a software design, but was honest enough to tell him
that I didn't know the details. Can anyone provide
relatively focused information on preparing one of these
specifications? He's indicated that he's willing to read a
journal article (or my summary), but not a book.

Please send your responses to me directly (I'm too far
behind on digests to be able to spot all the references
there); I'll summarize to the list in about a week (earlier
if the replies taper off before then).