Re: Writing samples

Subject: Re: Writing samples
From: Tracy Boyington <tracy_boyington -at- OKVOTECH -dot- ORG>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 1998 09:10:55 -0600

> 2) If the person soliciting the position cannot tell enough about the
> applicant from the resume and phone conversation to know if the person
> is worth further investigation, then "in most cases", the person doesn't
> really know what they are looking for or how to do this part of the
> process.

So... those who don't do things in *your* preferred order don't know
what they want or what they're doing? I beg to differ.

Personally, I'd try to meet the employer's requirements rather than
expecting them to meet mine. I've only been involved on the hiring end a
couple of times, but I can tell you that we *did* look at writing
samples and eliminated applicants who had good resumes but just couldn't
write. There were no phone calls unless you passed that stage.

Obviously everybody's experience is different, and if you've been
successful using your own method, more power to you. I guess if you have
a fabulous resume you can be a little more demanding. But to all the new
writers (and wannabe writers) on this list -- if an ad asks for writing
samples, send writing samples!!!

Tracy
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okvotech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Vocational and Technical Education
Stillwater, OK, USA
http://www.okvotech.org/cimc/home.htm