Re: Writing samples: what to look for

Subject: Re: Writing samples: what to look for
From: Barry House <bhouse -at- CREATIVE-HOUSE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:54:18 -0600

Mary Durlak wrote:

> If you're coming in, *ask* what I'm interested in. I expect to see
>a portfolio, and would hope to see an in-depth copy of something relative
>to the work at hand. Also, a copy you can leave with me that I don't have
>to return--even if it's not the whole document--is much appreciated.
> Word of caution: some TWs find any non-TW samples a major
>turn-off. Try to know your audience!!
> Mary

This is fascinating, especially since I've NEVER put together a true
portfolio--meaning a big black book with writing samples artfully arranged
in a pretty package. I've usually grabbed 3-5 pieces that relate to the
work being discussed and thrown them in a file folder. During the interview
I talk the person through each piece--who the audience was, whether I
worked alone or on a team, etc.

How many of you TWs who interview really expect a portfolio? Why? If I've
written a 150-page how-to booklet, how do I fit that into a portfolio? Can
the strength of the writing overcome the lack of proper presentation?

Barry House
The Creative House--Helping Businesses Communicate
P.O. Box 523
Pittsfield, IL 62363
217-285-2900
217-285-2950 Fax