Re: Writing samples: what to look for

Subject: Re: Writing samples: what to look for
From: DURL <durl -at- BUFFNET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 11:22:51 -0500

Depends on the context the writer's sending me samples in.
If you're just mailing me work samples, in anticipation of meeting
to see about working w/ me, all I want is max *3 pages*. I'd like diverse
stuff--a page of procedures, a technical article excerpt, and a page of
nonfiction writing, so I can get a feel for your writing ability.
If you're coming in, *ask* what I'm interested in. I expect to see
a portfolio, and would hope to see an in-depth copy of something relative
to the work at hand. Also, a copy you can leave with me that I don't have
to return--even if it's not the whole document--is much appreciated.
Word of caution: some TWs find any non-TW samples a major
turn-off. Try to know your audience!!
Mary

Mary Durlak Erie Documentation Inc.
East Aurora, New York (near Buffalo)