Re: Writing Samples: What to look for

Subject: Re: Writing Samples: What to look for
From: Elizabeth Vollbach <vollbach -at- PACBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:51:20 GMT

If I was writing that article I'd mention that often technical
writers' samples aren't exactly written and/or formatted the way they
would have chosen if they had had a choice. So the interviewer should
keep this in mind. And it'd be wise, although most interviewers don't
do this, to discuss whether this was true for a particular document.

It would also be wise, although most interviewers don't do this,
either, to ask whether the interviewee actually wrote the document or
edited it. Another good question would be whether the interviewee
actually did either one or just did the DTP. It surprises me that many
DTPers have the nerve to call themselves technical writers.