ADMIN: Leave the signatures alone

Subject: ADMIN: Leave the signatures alone
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:24:10 -0700

Gang,

I fail to see what about .sig files merits so much
discussion on the list. I make no bones about
the fact that I think that TECHWR-L is a perfectly
good means of networking and getting job contacts
for all of us, as well as being a good place to
post job ads.

As far as I can see, the only differences between
my one line at the end of my .sig (Raycomm
accepting contract inquiries) and the much
discussed $75K/year .sig are either 1) tone and
approach, or 2) nobody chooses to hop on my
case about it.

Personally, I don't think that the $75 K approach
is a good idea at all, but that's because I know
this audience pretty well. I also don't think that
posting personal resumes to the list is a good idea
nor is it terribly effective, but I wouldn't jump on
someone's case if they were desperate for work
and thought it might help.

If someone starts posting a resume AS a .sig,
or goes for the 10 line signature, I'll probably
have something to say, but I'm not going to jump
on a non-offensive .sig, marketing oriented
or not.

Now, can we all review those posting rules one
more time before posting again?

Thanks!
Eric

* Eric J. Ray, ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com, http://www.raycomm.com/
* _HTML 4 for Dummies Quick Reference_, and others.
* RayComm, Inc., currently accepting contract inquiries.