Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability and making the leap

Subject: Re: Contractors of Questionable Ability and making the leap
From: Melissa Fisher <mfisher -at- MOBSEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 09:06:51 -0500

Sella Rush asks...
How do others see their transition from captive to contract?

I just recently (2 months ago) made the transition from captive to
contract, at the fairly young technical writer age of 3 years. I know
there are a lot of things I don't know, and a lot of different types of
experience I don't have...but I don't think that disqualifies me from
doing some contract work or from doing a good job. I don't think that
being in "apprentice" mode and doing contract work is mutually
exclusive...in fact one of the reasons I left my "captive" job was to
gain experience in areas that were not available to me at that company.

The main issue is to not oversell yourself to your employer. I don't
claim to have experience I don't have, nor do I try to sell myself into
a position I know I'm not qualified for...whether it's contract or
permanent work. As a matter of fact, I did not go looking for a
contract - I went looking for another job, and whether it was a
permanent or contract position was immaterial to me.

Consulting...that's something the phrase that I feel I need many more
years of experience before I could

Melissa Fisher
mfisher -at- mobsec -dot- com