Re: Helvetica Font

Subject: Re: Helvetica Font
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 07:52:13 -0500

Julijan Sribar wrote:

>>AFAIK, Arial should be equivalent to Helvetica; it is only
named
> different due to some copyright problems.<<

This is a common misnomer. Arial is *similar* to Helvetica, but
if you look closely at the two typefaces, you'll notice strong
differences. Compare especially the lower-case T and the numeral 1.

Someone else asked where they could download Helvetica. You
have to buy Helvetica; it's not a freeware or shareware font. If you
find a font called Helvetica for download somewhere, it's either a
knockoff of the original or an illegal copy of the original.

I have CorelDRAW! 4 at home; it comes with a gob of typefaces.
It contains the Swiss typeface family, which is far more similar to
Helvetica than Arial.

>>Anyway, if you are writing online help, you should use MS Sans
Serif
> font (it is the default font for that purpose).<<

You know, I use MS Sans Serif in my Help projects. But I see
mostly Arial in Help files. I'm curious to hear which typeface
listmembers prefer for their Windows Help projects.