Word 7.0 Templates

Subject: Word 7.0 Templates
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 09:54:00 -0500

Hi All! First time responding but I've been watching for a while now. On to
comments. Two thoughts on templates and Word 7.0:

(1) If you do find a repository of Word templates, I'd make sure they were 7.0
and not Word 97 templates -- the two are NOT fully compatible, regardless of
the hype.

(2) I've found that it's easier to create a template from scratch using
styles, autotext and macros than it is to find exactly what you're looking
for in someone else's template. This option may take a few days to initially
set up and a few more to iron out the kinks, but it'll be something you're
absolutely in-tune with when it's finished.

FYI for those Word bashing/Frame worshiping TWs out there -- I really don't
have many problems at all with Word 7.0 and I use it to publish books from
10-1000+ pages. Rarely have problems other than the occassional virus. I'm
not, however, looking forward to the "upgrade" to Word 97.

Sheila

Hi,

I've searched the archives, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I'm using Word 7.0 to produce/edit Product Guides for our sales force.
The guides are 50-100 pages each, with simple graphics including
imported VISIO flowcharts and occasional clip art.

The problem is, all of our existing Product Guides were written by
different people, with varying levels of writing/editing/document design
ability. It is my job to "standardize" all existing guides and implement
these standards going forward. Our company uses Office 95, and I'm
comfortable using Word 7.0 for these relatively small
documents. Since I have a lot on my plate (I'm also developing an
Intranet) I want to make this standardization process as painless as
possible -- but I don't like the default "manual" template that comes
with Word.

Does anyone know of a repository of Word templates for user
guides/manuals? I'd appreciate any/all responses.

Thanks!
Cheryle

**************************************

Suggestions for newslettering & Large format docs:

There is a product called WOPR that plugs in to Word and lets you set up 2-,
4-up and more. It's about $60 and also comes with the few other features
that come in handy. Available at:

http:\\www.wopr.com

**************************************
Okay, I'm stumped.

I've checked MS Word help and I've asked everyone in the office who
might know and I've still had no luck.

I have a Word 95 doc that was given to me and I need to print it out.
The Word doc is a 4 page newsletter. The person who created the
newsletter did the layout in 8.5 X 11. I need to print it on 11 X 17 (so
it can be folded in half, you know - the typical easy newsletter).

Is there a way to get Word to print a doc in Letter layout onto Tabloid
paper? I don't mind printing one page, then feeding the paper back in to
print the next, then turning the paper over, etc. I just don't want to
have to layout the thing again.

If I can't find a printing solution, I'm going to lay it out in
PageMaker (like it should have been in the first place) but I'm hoping
for an easy way out.

TIA for any suggestions.

Sheila R. Marshall, sheila -at- stk -dot- com
Documentation Lead
Analytical Graphics, Inc.
325 Technology Drive
Malvern, PA 19355