Re: Data are vs Data is

Subject: Re: Data are vs Data is
From: Michael Lewis <lewism -at- BRANDLE -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 12:06:22 +1100

Mary Nurminen wrote:

> Michael Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I sympathise with your reluctance, but the simple fact is that the
> > language belongs to the general public, not to us "experts" (or should
> > that be "we experts", as in "we [who are] experts"?)
>
> No, it should be 'us experts' because it is the object of the preposition 'to'.

That's the obvious interpretation, but I think it's wrong: the object of
the preposition "to" isn't just the word "us": it's the phrase "us/we
experts". For my money, that phrase is a contraction of "we who are
experts" -- not "us who are experts". However, I've only got my own
analysis to go on: I've not found a formal treatment anywhere.

[Apology to Eric and all others who don't get excited about this kind of
debate: I know it's off topic, but ...]

--
Michael Lewis
Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia