Re: STC and other orgs.

Subject: Re: STC and other orgs.
From: Paula Puffer <papuffer -at- SWBELL -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:19:15 -0600

Re: The STC question

Overall I have found my membership in STC to be beneficial *TO ME*. The
journal has a lot of useful information for me and part of the reason I got
my new job is because the company I work for got my name from STC. My only
gripe about the journal is that a lot of the information concentrates on the
writing for the software industry it seems.

Having been part of three different STC chapters, I think the meeting type
depends on the chapter. I can't say much about my impressions on the new
chapter, since I haven't been able to attend a meeting due to working second
shift, but I do like the chapter newsletter. The last two chapters worked at
making the presentations interesting so that people could be drawn in.
Topics covered included ISO 9000 (One covered ISO in manufacturing, the
other ISO in a software firm), opening your own technical writing business,
Using JAVA script, a trip to local software firm and others. I have never
been subjected to the vendor talk at an STC Chapter meeting.

RE: Other Orgs.

What are other organization options for Technical Communicators? How much do
membership cost? What kind of benefits/publications do you get with your
membership?

Steve Fouts mentioned the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) special
interest groups (SIGs) on Documentation (SIGDOC) and Computer/Human
Interaction (SIGCHI).