Adobe *Maker (was: Word vs. Pagemaker)

Subject: Adobe *Maker (was: Word vs. Pagemaker)
From: Alison Bloor <Alison -dot- Bloor -at- MMTECH -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:55:58 +0000

Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM> wrote:

> I'm curious to know: how do you find PageMaker for revisability?
>
> I've only used it for small documents, but Adobe's official line - that
> PageMaker is for small one-shots and FrameMaker for larger, revisable
> documents - has always seemed summarize the strengths and weaknesses of
> both programs.

Thanks! I had been wondering and was about to ask just that question.
(Good job I read to the end of the Digest first.)

I'd also be interested to know how PageMaker and Framemaker compare
when it comes to exporting/re-importing text for translation:

- is the exported text easy to work with or does the translator have
to pick his/her way between fiddly markup?
- how much work (e.g. marking index entries) has to be repeated
after importing the translated version?
- what about text in tables?

I'm currently using Corel Ventura, which scores pretty badly in these
areas. Since we're about to start supporting several different
languages for all our products, I'm wondering if I can make the
translation process less painful by migrating to a different tool.

Any warnings or recommendations would be welcome.
Thanks,

Alison Bloor
************* Alison Bloor (alison -dot- bloor -at- motionmedia -dot- co -dot- uk) **************
Motion Media Technology Ltd, Horton Hall, Horton, Bristol, BS37 6QN, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1454 313444 (Switchboard) or 338512 (Direct)
Fax: +44 (0)1454 313678 H.320 Video: +44 (0)1454 338555