DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?

Subject: DISCUSS: Shortage of techwriters?
From: Jean Weber <jean_weber -at- COMPUSERVE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 20:03:40 -0500

Several recent postings have mentioned the current shortage of technical
writers in the USA, citing as (partial) evidence the fact that people are
turning down contract work. Yet I, with years of relevant experience and
numerous references who will vouch for my excellent work, on time and
within budget, rarely get even the courtesy of a reply to my application
for an advertised contract position. (I know it's not a unique problem;
I've corresponded with many others who've had the same experiences.)

I suspect it is mainly because we live away from major population centers
and are fighting the continuing insistence that writers and editors work
onsite, or at least live nearby. (When I do get a reply, it's negative and
specifically mentions they want someone in the local area.)

I have worked successfully on several long-distance teleworking projects
(and point this out in my applications, with contact details for the people
I worked for). Sure, there are projects that aren't suitable for
teleworking: I don't pretend otherwise, But, as most of this group knows
well, many more projects are suitable, but some level of management isn't
willing to consider it seriously. (Now if only the people whom I've worked
for, who like the teleworking arrangement, had enough work to keep me as
busy as I want to be ...)

Let's keep reminding managers, and whoever else needs to know, that
"shortages" are often the result of inappropriate on the hirers' side,
rather than a lack of skilled people. (Then there's the pay issue, but
that's a separate rant.) And I'll keep marketing myself; one of these years
enough companies will see the light! <g>

Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
Technical Writing and Editing Consultant, Print and Online
mailto:jean_weber -at- compuserve -dot- com