Re: Holy Wars and Contractors

Subject: Re: Holy Wars and Contractors
From: William E Newkirk <wenewkir -at- MBNOTES -dot- CCA -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:15:54 -0500

the problems are several:

1) it's perceived by the big bosses that they're paying for software
way too often and there are too many vendors involved. they pick
one system so they think they'll be able to understand any job
since we'll all have "the same software". (as opposed to software
that works).
(o/~ I'm a lemming, they're a lemming, shouldn't you want to
be a lemming too?? o/~)

2) it's perceived that they different software and the inability
of the different software to seamlessly communicate is an issue.
software vendors just don't get along (sometimes even in the same
company (see WordPerfect 5 to 6 for example) and the work spent
trying to debug the document at one end or the other wastes time
and delays the results of efforts.

3) they want to avoid limiting their hiring choices due to
requirements
for proficiency in a given software program.

4) the IT people think that you can do anything in <insert
favorite text only editor here>, and claim that costs are
inflated because of everyone having to have their own special
software. IT of course, wants to have 1 program that doesn't
generate any help calls at all...so they tend to not want to
allow specialized anything as it means you might have to have
help desk (or equivalent folks) conversant in a given speciality
and they want the help desk to be staffed by interchangable
drones as well.

that's a few for starters..