Re: Need suggestions for resources

Subject: Re: Need suggestions for resources
From: JIMCHEVAL <JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:12:36 EST

In a message dated 98-01-05 12:22:30 EST, scotty -at- cm -dot- math -dot- uiuc -dot- edu writes:

<< It seems that you have missed the point of our "design". >>
"Our"? Actually, in your original glowing recommendation for the site, you
neglected to mention that it was your *own* work.

No, I didn't go through the tutorials. For the HTML, because I already knew
even the 'advanced' stuff - never mind that the most advanced subjects aren't
ready yet. For the Javascript, because I'd already gone through a very useful
(and also hands on) script at a site that didn't require me to become a member
to access it. For the CGI (which is what interested me the most), there's
nothing there yet.

When I referred to the design being over-complicated, I was referring to
things like the browser limitations (only Netscape and maybe IE). On AOL,
certain functions plain didn't work. Also, a somewhat excessive use of frames.

Basically, the user has to think more about navigation than I've found true on
similar tutorial sites.

Again, I'm not saying it's badly done. It's certainly a welcome service. But
I couldn't see upon visiting it why you'd been so glowing about it. If you're
actually one of the people who put it up, that probably should have been made
clear from the start.

Jim Chevallier
Los Angeles
Visit Chez Jim: Jim Chevallier's Home Page - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval